8000007002009Regular price €43,00
Edgeworthia chrysantha, commonly known as ‘Paperbush’, is a deciduous shrub. Edgeworthia begins to form flower buds in late summer each year, overwinter on bare stems that open into bloom from late February to early April. Fragrant flowers appear in clusters on the tips of bare stems before the narrow oval leaves begin to appear. The fragrant scent will help to attract beneficial insects, such as bees, to the garden in early Spring, when not much else is in flower for them to feed on. When in bud, the covering of silky white hairs makes Edgeworthia glisten, as though it is covered in frost.
A great plant for the winter garden, they rarely succumb to pests and diseases, they will thrive in a sheltered spot.
An interesting fact about Edgeworthia, they are commonly cultivated in Japan for making the paper used in the production of Japanese banknotes.
- Type: Deciduous shrub
- Preferred location: Dappled sunlight or full sun
- Hardiness: Frost Hardy – needs winter protection in colder areas plant against a sunny south facing wall
- Soil: Fertile, moist, well drained
- Max Height & Spread: 1 - 1.5m x 1 - 1.5m
- Season of interest: February – April
- Garden Uses: Wall side beds and borders, patio and containers, wall-side borders
- Garden Style: City and courtyard, coastal garden, woodland garden, cottage and informal garden
- Garden care: Apply a generous layer of mulch in Autumn and cut away any damaged or crossing branches in early Spring