Regular price €70,00
Camellias are very easy to grow. They are evergreen shrubs, producing a beautiful display of flowers throughout late winter and early spring, when there are little other vibrant colour in the garden. Their shiny, evergreen leaves look bright all year round. They are one of the most versatile plants; they can be planted in containers, in a border, used as a hedge or even planted as a feature tree drawing your eye to a focal point in the garden.
The two main things to remember is that camellias need to grow in acidic soil, in partial shade. If you don’t have acidic soil in your garden, you can make it more acidic by adding some ericaceous compost, or grow camellias in pots or containers.
Camellias prefer a position that is in dappled or full shade. An area that gets morning shade is best as direct early sunlight can dry out the developing flower buds. Camellias are native woodland plants and do therefore do not cope well in a sunny, south facing spot.
- Type: Evergreen shrub
- Preferred location: Dappled sunlight full shade from morning sun
- Hardiness: Fully Hardy
- Soil: Acid soil, well drained
- Max Height & Spread:2 to 4 m x 2m
- Season of interest: January - April, evergreen
- Garden Uses: Beds and borders, patio and containers, wall-side borders
- Garden Style: City and courtyard, woodland garden, cottage and informal garden
- Garden care: Prune in May if needed and feed with ericaceous plant food after flowering period