Hydrangea Paniculata Limelight - 3L Green
310316517Regular price €10,00
Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight' is a complete showstopper. Limelight has amazing masses of lime coloured, cone shaped blooms. The flowers eventually turn to white and light pink from late July to early October. Limelight is a very hardy hydrangea which is suitable for full sun and partial shade positions.
Unlike many hydrangeas, Limelight will grow in both alkaline and acidic soils. It also tolerates prolonged periods of drought when established.
Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight' will grow to a height and spread of 3.5m / 11ft after four or five years if it is not pruned each year. When pruned as recommended below each year, it will reach a height of 2m / 6ft 6in.
HOW TO PLANT HYDRANGEA PANICULATA 'LIMELIGHT'
- Choose free draining soil. If your soil is poor quality, you can improve it by adding compost and fish, blood & bone fertiliser
- Hydrangeapaniculata 'Limelight' will grow in alkaline or acidic soils unless they are extreme
- The ideal position is one which gets sun in the morning and/or late afternoon, however Limelight will tolerate full sun very well.
- Dig a hole double the width of the rootball. Sprinkle in a handful of blood, fish and bone fertiliser and blend into the ground.
- Stand the plant into the hole.
- Fill around the roots and firm the soil down gently but firmly. Water well to settle the surrounding ground around the root ball.
- Plant to the same depth as your hydrangea was in the pot.
CARE OF HYDRANGEA PANICULATA 'LIMELIGHT'
Each spring apply some mulch around the plant to trap some moisture and provide nutrients to the soil as the mulch rots down.
Each spring and autumn scatter some fertiliser (fish, blood and bone) around the shrub and blend it in gently with a trowel. This will provide nutrients over a long period of time. Avoid adding a nitrogen rich fertiliser as it will encourage weak stems and foliage.
Although this shrub will tolerate drought it will affect its ability to flourish with flowers. It's best to water the plant in summer during extended periods of drought or where the soil drains very easily.
HOW TO PRUNE HYDRANGEA PANICULATA 'LIMELIGHT'
Cut off all dead flower heads to just above a healthy set of buds in March/April. After four or five years this will result in a shrub which will be 3.5m / 11ft in height and spread.
If you prefer to keep this shrub to a more manageable height of about 2m / 6ft 6in, you will find that the shrub will thank you with the healthiest display of flowers. To achieve this:
- Prune late March / April.
- Prune back stems to four buds above the base of the shrub. This sounds quite harsh but it will bounce back with quickly.
- Cut out, as low as possible, any diseased or damaged stems.
- Type: Evergreen shrub
- Preferred location: Partial sunlight, full sun
- Hardiness: Fully Hardy
- Soil: Acid or alkaline soil
- Max Height & Spread: 2m x 2m with annual pruning
- Season of interest: July – October, evergreen year round
- Garden Uses: Beds and borders, patio and containers, wall-side borders
- Garden Style: City and courtyard, coastal garden, woodland garden, cottage and informal garden
- Garden care: Prune away any unwanted growth in March or April. Feed with plant food after flowering period