Skimmia Japonica Rubella / 10 Ltr, Square Pot
809161025Regular price €45,00
Skimmia japonica ‘Rubella’ is a compact male skimmia, with reddish, deep green leaves. Dark red flower buds form every autumn and throughout winter until the flowers begin to open in spring. It’s ideal for growing in an autumn or winter container display or using to fill gaps in a garden border.
For best results grow Skimmia japonica ‘Rubella’ in moist but well-drained soil in partial to full shade. Trim plants after flowering and apply mulch each year with well-rotted manure or compost.
Skimmias japonica are extremely valuable for their multi-season exhibition – especially in Winter & Spring. Their glossy evergreen leaves provide a lovely backdrop to their fragrant white or yellowish flowers in Spring.
Most skimmia varieties are either male or female, the male varieties such as Rubella will help to pollinate the females varieties so they can produce their bright red berries in Winter. Skimmia japonica Rubella is a good choice of a male partner to female varieties such as Skimmia jap ‘Fructo Alba’.
- Type: Evergreen shrub
- Preferred location: Full shade, partial shade, dappled shade
- Hardiness: Fully hardy
- Soil: Well drained, moist
- Max Height & Spread: 75cm x 75cm
- Season of interest: Dark red flower buds in autumn & winter, flowers in Spring
- Garden Uses: Beds and borders, patio and containers
- Garden Style: City and courtyard, container garden, woodland garden, cottage and informal garden
- Garden care: Trim or lightly cut back shoots that spoil symmetry. Deadhead regularly.